Africa Day Celebrations
Africa Day Celebrations
INVITATION TO MEDIA REPRESENTATIVES
AFRICA DAY CECLEBRATIONS
What: Africa Day Celebrations
Who: African Union Commission(AUC)
When: 25th May, 2019
Where: African Union Commission Heardquarters,Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
Highlights for the media include:
- Sports activities and bazzar from 8:30am-13:00pm
- Official ceremony of Africa Day including the inauguration of AU Memorial Wall in Honour of African Heroes ; speeches by AUC ledership, Member States and host country; and panel discussion on the theme of the year.
Time: 14:30 -18:00
Why: The Africa Day Celebrations will present an avenue to celebrate some landmark achievements of the Union on various issues such as peace and security, continental integration, women and youth empowerment, eradication of diseases, inter alia. The celebration will also be an opportune time to reflect on the Union’s transformation and achievements and als renew commitments to realize the Africa we want as embedded in Agenda 2063. The AU day will further be an opportune occasion to promote the visibility of the African Union and its activities all over the African continent, diaspora and the countries where AU has its representative offices as well as regional offices. The African Union Commission is therefore calling upon all Africans to commemorate and celebrate the Africa Day.
1. Celebrate Africa Day.
2. Create, maintain and increase awareness for the public at large on:
3. The African Union Agenda 2063;
4. The theme of the year “The year of Refugees, Returnees,and Internally Displaced Persons: Towards Durable Solutions to Forced Displacement in Africa”
5. Create African Unity through activities
• AU Member States;
• AU Commission Staff;
• All institutions represented in AUC;
• Partners : Non-African Countries and International Organizations;
• Civil Societies representing Youth and Gender;
• Civil Society Organizations;
• Students from International schools;
• Self-Sponsored from abroad.
Journalists are invited to attend and cover the event on Saturday 25th May 2019 as per the attached programme.
For media enquires contact:
Mrs Wynne Musabayana | Head of Communication, Directorate of Information and Communication, African Union Commission | Tel: +251(0) 911361185 | E-mail: MusabayanaW@africa-union.org,
Mr.Gamal Ahmed A. Karrar | Senior Communication Officer, Directorate of Information and Communication | African Union Commission I E-mail: GamalK@africa-union.org
Mr.Stephen Kwaku Darko| Information and Communications Officer, Directorate of Information and Communication, African Union Commission | Tel: +251(0) 953406832 | E-mail: DarkoS@africa-union.org